This is such a simple and delicious recipe! With the filling you can vary enormously, and it is a snack that is both tasty as an in-between-meals, appetizer or side dish. And, if you follow these instructions, you really do not have to use too much (or even no) oil to get the aubergine nice and tender.
- 4 medium sized eggplants
- 100 gr. quinoa, cooked according to directions on packaging
- 1/2 bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, squeezed
- 2 hands of unsalted walnuts
- 1 hand of pomegranate seeds
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1-2 tbsp vegan cream cheese. For example this or this one (easy to order online).
- Poke holes in the eggplant with a fork.
- Steam them in a food steamer (I have been using this simple one for years now and I really don’t want any other type of steamer anymore) for about 10 minutes.
- Let the eggplant cool off and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Cut them lengthwise into slices (approx. 1 cm).
- Grill them (without adding oil) in a grill pan or a grill iron.
- Place the slices on a dish and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle the slices with some freshly ground pepper and sprinkle with a little beautiful, organic extra virgin olive oil
- Put all ingredients (except the pomegranate seeds) in a bowl and mix briefly with a hand blender. This is to make the filling more firm.
- Finally, mix through the pomegranate.
- Place 1 tbsp of the mixture at the beginning of each slice of eggplant, and roll them up.
- You can insert a saté pricker to keep the roll firmly closed.
- Garnish with some extra pomegranate seeds.