THIS will fill your home with the most mouth-watering aromas imaginable. We’re talking about whole heads of garlic roasted (no added oil needed), until each individual clove is completely golden and butter-soft – perfect for eating-out-of hand as a snack, threading onto skewers with other veggies for a vegetable kebab, spreading on a seeds cracker, or mashing into a salad dressing. Perfect, really, for just about anything.
- 1 or more heads of garlic
- Optional: 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oven to 400°F
- Set a rack in the middle position
- Use your fingers to peel away all the loose, papery, outer layers around the head of garlic. Leave the head itself intact with all the cloves connected.
- Trim about 1/4 inch off the top of the head of garlic to expose the tops of the garlic cloves.
- Optional (I never use oil): drizzle 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil over the exposed surface of the garlic, letting the oil sink down into the cloves.
- Roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. (Exact roasting time will depend on the size of your garlic, and how soft you want your garlic to become).
- Let the garlic cool slightly, and then serve.
- Press on the bottom of a clove to push it out of its paper.
- TIP: Roasted garlic can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 3 months.