Are you, like so many, suffering a bit of “end-of-year fatigue”? LOL. And do you therefore want to keep the main course easy for Christmas? Or, when thinking of your Christmas menu, one thing obviously comes to mind: a turkey roast. Check out the following delicious tofurky roast recipe! Tofurky roasts are a convenient vegan holiday staple. They’re easy to prepare and make a satisfying centerpiece to a vegan Christmas meal.
For those who don’t know what tofurky is, it’s tofu that’s usually shaped like a loaf and stuffed with grains or bread – perfect turkey substitute. If you can’t think of what to pair with this meatless main dish, you can still accompany these tofurky recipes with all of your favorite The Sitting Chef Christmas sides, which are all plant-based, of course. This year I make my Tofurky with Parsley roots fries and home made roasted tomatoes ketchup.
What you’ll need
- Tofurky roast, thawed in fridge for 24 hours
For the baste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tamari
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp each of fresh chopped thyme, oregano, sage, and rosemary
- For dried herbs: use 1/2 tsp each or sub with 2 teaspoons dried poultry or Italian seasoning – rubbed not ground
How to cook a Tofurky Roast?
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Use a knife or scissors to carefully cut off one of the end clips
- Run the thawed Tofurky Roast under warm water as you loosen and remove the plastic
- Mix together olive oil, Tamari, maple syrup, minced garlic, and herbs
- Put a piece of parchment paper in the center of your baking dish. Add the Tofurky Roast and cover with half of the baste
- Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil
- Cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Check for doneness after 1 hour. Once the the Tofurky is golden-brown, pour the remaining baste over the Tofurky and cook, uncovered, for another 10 minutes
- You can find the recipe for the parsley roots fries HERE.
- You can find the recipe for the homemade ketchup HERE.